Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Terminator V. Robot Monster

Caught Terminator Salvation tonight, courtesy of my pal CJ Henderson, movie reviewer and author extraordinaire. Not sure exactly what I think of it yet. So, I'll keep this brief for now and relatively spoiler free. As an action movie, it's tremendous, but as science fiction...well, I'll only say that it has about as much real science in it as Robot Monster. In fact, the whole thing has a sort of Robot Monster feel to it.

Let me explain.

Robot Monster is a much-maligned gem of a B-movie. Often bandied about as a rival to Plan 9 From Outer Space for worst movie ever, it is in actuality only deeply misunderstood. Robot Monster is a clever, science fiction retelling of The Wizard of Oz as if imagined by a fevered 12 year old. Terminator Salvation has that vibe. There are moments of genius in it, but overall the whole thing feels like something a 12 year old might cook up after having seen Terminator and wondering what the war with the machines might look like.

The Terminator franchise has officially become fantasy.

Is that good or bad? How the hell should I know?

All I can say is that there's a giant terminator with a gun for a head, and it shoots terminator motorcycles out of its legs, and it's the coolest damn killer robot ever. Ever.

No comments: