Saturday, April 21, 2007

Highlights from Ravencon

Last night's Mystery Panel turned out to be a blast. I was one of the panelists subjected to random and often bizarre questions lobbed at us by moderator Tony Ruggiero and the audience. The capper was a question from artist Cort Skinner asking panelists what bodily function they would use to describe their writing. In another panel Elizabeth Massie led us on a great discussion comparing classic Gothic horror literature with modern horror writing. And tonight I just wrapped my last panel, about how book titles and covers are created and how they work, while just outside our room the costume party carried on with riotous enthusiasm.


Here's a snapshot from my afternoon panel, a discussion of how writers create their characters. From left to right are myself, Edmund Schubert, David B. Coe, Dennis Danvers, and Elizabeth Massie.



And here's a shot of me hanging out with Danielle Ackley-McPhail, author and one of the editors of the forthcoming Bad-Ass Faeries anthology (to be released in May), which will include my short story "Sally Smiles."


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim,

Glad you thought I did a decent job moderating the panel. I always get churny just ahead of time, but then they usually turn out okay. Mainly 'cause the panelists are usually people with good minds, interesting thoughts, and a clear manner of expressing themselves. Nice to share the panels with you and I look forward to seeing you at future cons...Horrorfind, yes?

Cheers!
Beth