Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Ravencon Wrap

The last day of Ravencon proved pretty quiet. But, of course, that's when they get ya...

My last panel of the con was a 10 A.M. discussion of artificial intelligence and computers as villians in science fiction. I was a bit apprehensive as the topic falls outside my usual areas of expertise, but I was happy to serve as moderator and ask questions. Turned out to be one of the best panels I've ever sat on. Guest of Honor science fiction author Robert Sawyer, author Stephen Euin Cobb, and podcasting pioneer Paul Fischer were the panelists. Thanks to their erudite comments and the input of an exceptionally well-informed audience, we maintained a lively discussion despite the early hour. The upshot (and I'm simplifying greatly here) was 2 votes in favor of the likelihood that computers will take over and turn against us in the future to 1 vote against. Me, I'm looking forward to reading the Robert Sawyer novels I snatched up in the dealer's room. That guy knows his stuff.

The gents were kind enough to pause for a photo after the panel with, from left to right, Paul, Stephen, myself, and Robert.


After the panel I had time enough to bid farewell to a few folks and then hit the road back to New York. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful drive for several hours--until the traditional jam up around exit 6 off the New Jersey Turnpike and a couple of hours of stop and go, topping off at 35 mph when things really picked up. But then if I didn't get delayed in Jersey, I suppose I wouldn't really feel like I'd been out of town. Way to go Garden State...!


No comments: