Friday, April 6, 2007

Wolrd Horror Con--The Recap

Okay, so blogging from the con didn't really pan out. No problem. I'll just catch up now.

It was a good con, a really good one.

Toronto is an expensive city (that's coming from a lifelong New Yorker), so there were few book purchases this trip. Only one, in fact: the special hardcover edition of Postrcripts # 10. I even had to pass up a nice, signed copy of Joe Lansdale's Savage Season (next time for sure). Luckily, folks were generous, and I wound up coming home with some top-notch reading to keep me going for awhile. Gave away a few copies of The Midnight Hour in return, and I hope people enjoy them.

At the top of the con reading pile: Via Dolorosa by Ronald Damien Malfi and Gifted Trust by John Paul Allen.

Con events such as the mass signing, the Stoker awards, and the general run of panels all proved enjoyable and interesting, but the best part of this con was getting to meet a mob of great people. The World Horror Con has always struck me as just about the most laid back con I attend. The weekend is about kicking back, hanging out, and getting to know people. The amazing thing this weekend was how many writers and readers I wound up talking to and just having a casual conversation. They ranged from aspiring wordsmiths just starting out to folks at just about the same point as me to international best-selling authors to Stoker winners and the con Grandmaster. There were worlds of writing experience on tap, and it was great to plug into it all.

The Canadian location attracted a healthy crowd of Candian horror folk (of course) and many from the UK. Interesting to get a different perspective on things from our colleagues north of the border and across the pond.

The heart of the con, as usual, rested in the after hour activities--the parties, the improptu gatherings, the bar. Every night was a late night.

By Sunday morning I was pretty well drained and eager to make the trip home.

A lot of people hit rough ground going or coming through customs, but I lucked out with an easy enough time both ways. A special tip of the hat to Donna and Steve of Ego Likeness, who kindly gave me a lift to the airport (I'm listening to Water to the Dead as I write this.) and Jennifer and John of Raw Dog Screaming Press for introducing me to Donna and Steve.

Next year: Salt Lake City.

No comments: